Kay Coulson took part in the race below a day after the track walk held in Guernsey on the Friday evening. Kay produced a near new personal best time for the 10 kms distance , although the promoted race was 325 metres longer Her time of 74.27 only 15 seconds longer than her Guernsey 10 kms time of 74.12.. Report below from David Hoben, a Church to Church walk regular.
4th Jack Fitzgerald Memorial Walks Tilgate Park, Crawley, 9 July 2016, Veterans AC 10.325km road and supporting races
1. M. Martin (Sy WC M60) 1 hr 0 min 31 sec
2. D. Maskell (Sy WC M65) 1 hr 7 min 39 sec
3. P. Hannell (Sy WC M70) 1 hr 10 min 08 sec
4. M. Harran (Sy WC M75) 1 hr 11 min 12 sec
5. C. Flint (Sy WC M70) 1 hr 11 min 41 sec
6. K. Coulson (Sarnia WC W45) 1 hr 14 min 27 sec
7. D. Hoben (Sy WC M60) 1 hr 16 min 21 sec
8. D. Delaney (Sy WC M70) 1 hr 16 min 57 sec
1. A. Ingram (Lewes AC W55) 39 min 07 sec
2. A. Martin (Sy WC W50) 41 min 25 sec
1. A. Hussein (Medway U15G) 11 min 12 sec
2. M. Hussein (Medway U15G) 11 min 15 sec
1. O. Hopkins (Lewes U17M) 16 min 17 sec
2. J. Childs (Medway U15B) 16 min 27 sec
3. B. Fury (Medway U15G) 18 min 50 sec
4. J. Buckley (Lewes AC W45) 21 min 22 sec
5. H. Childs (unattached W40) 22 min 54 sec
Veterans AC were pleased to host the fourth running of this event on a lakeside course once used as the test bed for Britain’s water speed record round popular beauty spot Campbell’s lake with summer temperatures mitigated by some cloud cover and a strong breeze.Times were largely a little down on the previous year, however in the headline 10.325 km event overall and men’s winner Malcolm Martin from Surrey Walking Club maintained his position from the previous two years but with a considerable lead over nearest SWC club rival Dan Maskell.
VAC were pleased to welcome a very in-form Kay Coulson from Guernsey’s Sarnia Walking Club who had flown in for the day especially for this event and who appeared to have had the best personal performance, despite having raced in a local track event only the night before.
Andrea Ingram from Lewes AC again showed her potential winning the 5.9k accompanying race which would have also given her a good 5k time, as she had also had a ladies’ win at VAC’s Gravesend race some months earlier, and club mate Jo Buckley did really well in the 3k on her first attempt at competitive walking with a respectable time which would have not have been out of place in a county championship.
The 3k walkers were led home by the ever improving Ollie Hopkins from Lewes AC who added to his string of wins, just marginally ahead of Jack Childs from Medway & Maidstone.
The race was held to raise funds for Help for Heroes, as a tribute to RAF fighter pilot Jack Fitzgerald.
Judge: Peter Selby
Starter: Dave Stevens
Time keeping/lap recording: Carl Lawton, Ron Penfold, Nolan Simmons
Lead cyclist: Eric Parker
Marshals: Eric Parker, Jeremy Carmichael
Signage: Ron Penfold, Dave Stevens
Changing, showers, refreshments: Tilgate Forest Golf Centre
From an original idea by Walter Hill, SCVAC
This event is dedicated to the memory of Jack Fitzgerald 1923-2013